Freight Brokers vs. Online Freight Shipping
[Updated March 2022]
Not sure what is better for you: a freight broker or an online freight shipping company? This brief overview will guide you.
A freight broker is a company or in some cases an individual, that acts as a liaison between other people or companies that require shipping services and the authorized carrier. In other words, they connect shippers to carriers.
While a freight broker plays an important part in the movement of cargo, the broker is not the actual transporter of goods. Instead, they are the person who works to determine the needs of the shipper. A broker will also do their best to connect the shipper with the carrier willing to transport the items at an agreed price.
Being a freight broker includes a keen knowledge of technical resources and an extensive understanding of the shipping industry. Some companies completely rely on brokers to coordinate their shipping needs, however, regular freight brokerage services are time-consuming, not instantaneous, and fees can be very high.
Online Freight Shipping
Don’t have time in your busy day for a phone tag with a freight broker? Worried you’re paying too much and stressed out guessing where your freight is? This is when online freight shipping with a company like Freightera proves to be most beneficial. Freightera works in a similar fashion to Expedia and other travel sites. You get to choose between multiple carriers offering to ship between your places of origin and destination. This way you can choose the best rates, book shipments instantly, and track your full truckload (FTL) & less-than-truckload (LTL) freight online 24/7.
Advantages of Freightera’s online freight shipping platform
- Find the best deals online and save every time you ship
- Choose from hundreds of qualified transport carriers
- 24/7 freight booking without multiple calls to brokers
- Save up to 75% on freight brokerage fees
- Tracking number and history for every shipment
- Get your paperwork automatically generated
- Access all your orders online at any time
Differences Between Using a Freight Broker and Shipping Freight Online
As you can see there are many benefits of online shipping with a company like Freightera over traditional freight brokers:
- Rates are given instantaneously (rather than a few days later by average trucking companies)
- There is no bargaining, waiting, and back-and-forth phone calls with the freight brokers
- Tracking and order history are available for all shipments from all carriers, and accessible online 24/7
- You can choose from multiple competitive quotes (like on Expedia or other travel websites)
- Rates are significantly lower — technology makes the whole process more efficient than manual old-fashion freight brokerage
- Paperwork is automatically generated, no need to fill out paperwork by hand
We hope this simple overview makes choosing between a freight broker and an online freight shipping company an easy one for you!
Get freight quotes from 100s of carriers by signing up on Freightera.com.