Shipments going within Canada are covered with default insurance included in the price for up to $2/lb.
For shipments going cross-border between Canada and the US, or within the US, the default insurance varies and depends on the carrier.
If you require additional insurance above the default insurance already included in the price of shipping, please let us know at [email protected], and we will add the carrier’s additional insurance (if available) manually to your quote.
Damage and loss
Here are some of the steps you can take to prepare for any possible freight damage or loss:
- Always inspect your shipment before signing your Proof of Delivery
Customers who carefully inspect their shipments before signing their PODs are best prepared to refuse a damaged shipment. If you don’t note damages or missing pieces on your POD and later find concealed damage, you need to report this damage within 24 hours of receiving the shipment.
- Take photos
Having damaged cargo and the carrier’s PRO# sticker in the same photo connects the damage with the specific carrier PRO#.
- Be aware that some carriers may require the shipment to be delivered before accepting a claim
Therefore, refusing the damaged shipment may not always be the best choice.
- Respond quickly
Most carriers require immediate notification of damages, and some carriers require notification within 24 hours. Expedited shipments may require quicker notification and submission of claim forms.
- Document as much as possible for every shipment
Gather signed documentation before and after shipping, including:
• BOLs and PODs with noted damages
• Photographs of the damaged shipment
• Supplier’s invoice showing the cost of damaged goods
• Any other relevant documentation to your shipment (i.e. weight and inspection reports, bond documents, commercial shipper invoices stating the value of goods being shipped, and anything else you can obtain in support of damages or loss for your claim).
- Obtain a complete invoice from Freightera
Carriers require full payment before a refund may be granted, which means that the customer invoice must also be paid in full. Include your complete invoice for freight charges from Freightera in your claim.
- Contact our Client Care team at (800) 886-4870 Ext. 1 or at [email protected] to request the damage/loss forms.
Once we send you the forms, please fill them in and send them back to us.
What to include in your claim:
- Signed documentation: PODs or BOLs stating damages or loss
- Photographs: before and after, if possible, and preferably showing the damages and the carrier PRO# in the same photo
- Complete Freightera invoice including all additional charges
- Your supplier’s invoice showing the cost of damaged goods
- Any other relevant documentation related to your shipment:
- Weight and inspection reports
- Bond documents if applicable
- Any other documents supporting your claim
If your shipment arrived damaged or got lost during shipping, please contact our Client Care team at (800) 886-4870 Ext. 1 and our super-friendly team will be there to support you throughout the process.
Ready to ship with peace of mind? Get freight shipping quotes and book your shipment today.