Flatbed Shipping and Freight
Many industries have multiple projects on the go that involve transportation of a variety of cargo.
These projects may cover the movement of heavy or over-dimensional cargo such as steel structures, towers, construction equipment, cooling towers, boilers, and transformers, among others.
The best option for transportation of such goods is flatbed haulage which has a truck cab to which a cargo-carrying trailer is attached.
These trailers are designed to carry such type of cargo, and they come in different dimensions and capacities:
- 42’-53’ in length
- Used for movement of cargo that fits within the 8’6” height/width
- Does not require special permits or escorts within most state or province transportation systems, if the freight is within the legal height, width, length and or weight, which is mandated individually by the states/provinces (usually 8.5’ high and wide on a flatbed and up to 44,000 lbs)
- The variable version of this standard flatbed can extend up to 70’ in length
Drop/Step Deck Flatbeds
- 42’-48’ in length
- Upper deck length of 11’-12’ with the same height as standard flatbed
- Drop decks are lower than standard flatbeds -- they accommodate cargo with max height 10’2” and max width 8’6”
- The variable version of this drop deck can extend an additional 23’ in length
- Does not require special permits or escort vehicles in most states or provinces, if the freight does not exceed the legal limit (usually 10’2” high and wide on a step deck, and up to 44,000 lbs in weight, depending on a state or province).
Double Drop Deck Flatbed
- 42’-48’ in length
- Front upper deck length of 11’6” and rear upper deck length of 10’6”
- Second dropped deck length of 20’ or 26’ and max load height of 11’6” and width of 8’6”
- The variable version of this double drop deck can extend an additional 12’ in length
- Does not require special permits or escort vehicles in most states or provinces, if the freight is within the legal limit (for most this will be 11.5’ high and wide on a double drop and up to 44,000 lbs).
Consider this before booking your flatbed shipment:
- Ensure that the shipping company and its drivers are experienced and well-versed in the movement of flatbed cargo, as this requires specialized skills. Make sure they are aware of the safety measures to be taken along the route.
- Give your shipment some time. Flatbed shipments don’t leave the origin today and reach the destination tomorrow. There are several restrictions along the way in terms of when the shipment can move – so your shipment needs time to reach its destination safe and sound.
- Make sure the carrier knows the local regulations, as in some cases the flatbed cargo may be well within the regulations of one state, but could require special permits in the next state.
- Run through the route the cargo will take with your flatbed carrier and ensure that all requirements along that route are taken care of.
Why you should choose our flatbed shipping service
Because we take care of the requirements above. We work only with reputable carriers with the required experience, knowledge and understanding of how flatbed shipping works. We understand that every flatbed shipment may be different and our solutions are tailor-made for your requirements.
Using these solutions, you as a customer will be aware of the complete route, cost, and time frames of the project, which will enable you to make critical decisions required for your business.
Using our online marketplace provides you the option to choose from reputable flatbed carriers and book your shipment in seconds.
Tracking the progress of your shipment is especially important. In a lot of states flatbed transportation is only allowed to travel during selected times. Since flatbed cargo is usually expensive, you need to know where your shipment is at all times.
Our automated system will provide real time information and accessibility 24/7 and help you track and manage all your shipments online.
Let us help you find the best flatbed transportation options. Our super- friendly and knowledgeable client care personnel are waiting to offer you the best rates, solutions and service for your requirements.
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 1800 886 4870 ext 1.
Thank you for your interest in Freightera! 😊