Flatbed Shipping and Freight
Many businesses rely on the movement of heavy or over-dimensional cargo such as steel structures, towers, construction equipment, cooling towers, boilers, transformers, etc. The best option for transporting such goods is flatbed shipping, which uses trucks with a cab to which a cargo-carrying trailer is attached.
Why you should choose our flatbed shipping service
Because we take care of the hard work for you.
We only work with reputable carriers who have the necessary experience, knowledge, and understanding of flatbed shipping. We get that all flatbed shipments are different, and our solutions are tailor-made for your requirements.
While shipping with Freightera, you will be aware of the complete route, cost, and time frames of your flatbed projects, which will enable you to make critical decisions required for your business, in a timely manner, and avoid unnecessary delays and stress.
Using our online marketplace enables you to choose multiple flatbed shipping rates from reputable flatbed carriers and book your shipment in seconds.
Tracking the progress of your shipment is especially important. In many states, flatbed transportation is only allowed during specific times. Since flatbed cargo is usually expensive, you need to know where your shipment is at all times.
Our automated system will provide real-time information and accessibility 24/7 and help you track and manage all your shipments online.
🡆 Get the most affordable flatbed shipping rates today on Freightera.
Useful information about flatbed shipping
Flatbed trailers are designed to carry oversized or overweight cargo, and they come in different dimensions and capacities:
- 42’-53’ in length
- Used for movement of cargo that fits within the 8’6” height/width
- Does not require special permits or escorts within most state or province transportation systems, if the freight is within the legal height, width, length, and or weight, which is mandated individually by the states/provinces (usually 8.5’ high and wide on a flatbed and up to 44,000 lbs)
- The variable version of this standard flatbed can extend to a length of up to 70’
Drop/Step Deck Flatbeds
- 42’-48’ in length
- The upper deck has a length of 11’-12’ and the same height as a standard flatbed
- Drop decks are lower than standard flatbeds — they accommodate cargo with a max height of 10’2” and a max width of 8’6”
- The variable version of this drop deck can extend an additional 23’ in length
- Does not require special permits or escort vehicles in most states or provinces, if the freight does not exceed the legal limit (usually 10’2” high and wide on a step deck, and up to 44,000 lbs in weight, depending on a state or province).
Double Drop Deck Flatbed
- 42’-48’ in length
- Front upper deck length of 11’6” and the rear upper deck length of 10’6”
- The second dropped deck has a length of 20’ or 26’ and a maximum load height of 11’6’ and a width of 8’6”
- The variable version of this double drop deck can extend an additional 12’ in length
- Does not require special permits or escort vehicles in most states or provinces, if the freight is within the legal limit (for most this will be 11.5’ high and wide on a double drop and up to 44,000 lbs).
Consider this before booking your flatbed shipment
- Ensure that the shipping company and its drivers are experienced and well-versed in the movement of flatbed freight, as this requires specialized skills. Make sure they are aware of the safety measures to be taken along the route.
- Give your shipment some time. Flatbed shipments don’t leave the origin today and reach the destination tomorrow. There are several restrictions along the way in terms of when the shipment can move – so your shipment needs time to reach its destination safe and sound.
- Make sure the carrier knows the local regulations, as in some cases the flatbed cargo may be well within the regulations of one state, but could require special permits in the next state.
- Review the route with your flatbed carrier to ensure that all requirements along the way are met.
Let us help you find the best flatbed transportation options. Our super-friendly and knowledgeable client care personnel are waiting to offer you the best rates, solutions, and service for your needs.
You can contact us at [email protected], at (800) 886-4870 Ext. 1, or via online chat.
Get your flatbed freight rates today.
Thank you for your interest in Freightera! 😊
Interested in other shipping services?
Examples of Pallet Shipping Rates:
Great people! Awesome Service! Wonderful follow-up! Freightera has helped streamline my LTL shipping. I’m looking forward to working with them on my heavy haul shipments.
Exceptional customer service, with astonishingly low rates. My go-to for every order.